Sunday

For Those of You Who Like to Run, I Salute You

I have never liked to run. The crowning achievement in my running career was my freshman year of high school, when I finished the required 10-minute mile for cheerleading tryouts in 6:29, after faithfully running with my dad every evening for a month. It has only gone downhill from there. Last year, I could barely run .3 miles without stopping to walk. I got shin splints. I couldn't breath. My side hurt. Every running excuse there was, I had it. I hated running, and I did not understand how some people could run multiple miles at a time. It was unthinkable! 

So naturally, I wanted to sign up for a 5K. I know this makes no sense, but I have this innate urge to challenge myself. If there is something I find difficult, I must do it. It involves pain? Bring it (except pregnancy...when I'm pregnant, I'll probably get an epidural around month 8 or so, just in case). Anyways, for awhile I was all talk and no action. I had only been running to warm up before my actual work out, and I had not even looked at the 5K listings. Then, a miracle happened. 

I was doing my pre-workout warm-up run last week, and I just kept going. I felt something strange, and it wasn't shin splints or back sweat. Was I actually ENJOYING this? Holy cannoli, Batman, I was! I ended up running a little over a mile. It was a fitness miracle. I was so inspired that I went home and signed up for the Color Run, which brings me a step closer to completing #13 on my list. Today, I ran another mile and enjoyed it again! I still can't really believe it. So this post is for all of you who, like me, think running is stupid, but still have 5K dreams. This is what I think has brought me closer to enjoying the dreaded treadmill (or outside trail, whatever floats your boat):

1) I made a playlist 
If there is anything I hate more than running, it is running without any sort of sensory distraction. This is not including something to read, because I firmly believe if you can read while working out, you are not working out to your full potential. That's just me, though. If I have the right music, I get an extra burst of energy that pulls me through the terrible task of running. Here are some suggestions from my playlist:
2) I worked my muscles
I didn't run more than 5 minutes at a time for almost an entire month, but I lifted a lot of weights and did a lot of squats. Although it's only been a month, I can already tell a difference. I have much more energy than usual, and my muscles are more defined. I can get through a 10-minute run/sprint on the treadmill instead of a 5 minute walk/jog like I used to. 

3) I gave myself a goal
There is nothing that motivates me more than a deadline. I know that I am going to have to run a 5K in a couple months, and I don't want to finish last. Or not finish at all, because 3 miles is a lot. 

4) I'm not going to give up
I know that there will be days that I will NOT enjoy running. There will be days when running will be the last thing I want to do. But I will power through it and be thankful for this body that can accomplish amazing feats (like running over a mile)! At least until I've made it through the 5K...we'll see how long this running thing lasts after that. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Go you! I hate running with a passion, but for some reason, I wind up running a 5k almost every year. It's the worst but good luck to you! I heard the Color Run is really fun! I have a friend who is trying to talk me into doing Tough Mudder which sounds terribly painful, but I have a hard time not accepting a challenge so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete