Monday

Our New Adventures in an Old City

I know I haven't posted in awhile, but as most of you know by now, the hubs and I just moved to Philadelphia. We also just finished writing our theses, graduated with our Masters, worked and worked and worked, as well as spent many hours with our family. So we've been a bit busy. HOWEVER. Today, our second full day in the apartment, we had a noteworthy adventure.

The story starts with me trying to be thrifty. Once upon a time (well, yesterday, actually), I found this gorgeous dresser on Craigslist for ONLY $30! 

(It looks like the top is greenish, but it's black.)


It was a huge bargain and I emailed the girl immediately. She told me the measurements (which were perfect for what I wanted to use it for) and I asked the hubs if he thought it would fit in his car, and he said, "Yeah, it should." Then he said, "we should probably measure the car."  But we didn't. (This, my friends, is a bit of foreshadowing. Take note.) 

The sky was cloudy and the weather was somewhat cool, so it was the perfect day to load and unload a dresser. We drove to the girl's apartment to get it. We use a dolly provided by the girl's apartment complex to get it onto the street, then the girl left and we started to load it into the car. And that's where everything. went. wrong. Contrary to what the hubs expected, the dresser, in fact, did NOT fit in his car. We pushed and shoved. We pulled and tugged. Nothing worked! We tried to put it in the backseat, we tried the trunk. NOTHING would make this dresser fit! I got angry and called the hubs' car a girly car (it's not, I was just throwing a tantrum). The hubs got angry and wanted to leave my beautiful dresser on the side of the road! People were gathered under a canopy staring. Why were they gathered under a canopy? you might well ask. And I would say, "BECAUSE IT WAS POURING." That's right. In the 10 minutes that we went to the girl's apartment to get the chest, God opened the heavens on Philadelphia. After a heated 30 minutes of debate (because OMG WHAT DO WE DO? IT WON'T FIT IN A TAXI VAN! IF WE PAY FOR A DOLLY WE WILL HAVE TO GO GET IT AND OUR DRESSER WILL GET STOLEN AND WE WON'T SAVE ANY MONEY ANYWAY! BUT HUBS, WE CAN'T LEAVE IT ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD BECAUSE I LOVE IT!) we decided to carry the stupid thing. 6 blocks. In the rain.

So today, which started as an ordinary day, culminated with the hubs and I carrying a 50-lb dresser 1/2 a mile in the pouring rain. People were so nice, smiling and commenting and being super polite. The brotherly love was evident, probably because I was smiling like a goob the entire time because I got to keep my dresser!





You want a good strength workout? Here ya go. Bring on the Warrior Dash or the Tough Mudder. My arms can barely type this post. But my dresser is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment